Skip to main content

Under The Hood

Doug Smith and Dave Smith, 1966 Chevy Impala, summer of 1971 perhaps.
Under the Hood

I wanted to be a gear-head. I just never had the tools or the chops for it. But cars have always been fun and I've usually been a Chevy guy. Oh, I've wandered into lots of interesting cars and owned a few.

What was your first car?

Did you name it?

This 1966 Chevy Impala SuperSport was my first car. I'm sure that I paid too much for it because I paid what the guy was asking. I didn't know any better and I really wanted that car. It was fast. It was sporty. And, gasp - it had an 8-track stereo. You have to imagine the joys of listening to "Dark Side of The Moon" on an 8-track that had to fade-out and click-thru to the next track even if the song wasn't finished. Not the medium for Pink Floyd, that's for sure. But Elton John and Rod Stewart and Jeff Beck sounded just great, tooling down the road.

Doug Smith and his Chevy Impala

I've had other great cars, too:

1966 Volkswagen Beetle (this was my dad's but he was willing to trade cars when I had trouble making the payments on the Chevy Impala)

1965 Volkswagen Microbus panel van. I thought I wanted to customize it, but again, didn't have the chops. Still, what a fun car for $300. My longest trip was from Trenton, NJ to Chicago. I was pulled over by a police officer who said he just wanted to see what keeps that thing moving. Considering all the vinyl albums I had in the back, it was something of a miracle, although the person I sold it to told me that he used it to haul lumber in Montana, so the car had some character.

1966 Plymouth Fury. (Salt) My stepfather Jack bought this for $100 as a beater commuter car in Chicago and gave it to me. I drove it for two years and then sold it for $200. It had a powerful engine and smooth ride but oh did it gulp the gas. Zoom.

1969 Ford Econoline. (Buster) I bought this for $500 without test driving it. The first time I took it out, to drive a friend to the airport, it stalled and wouldn't re-start. I gave the tow-truck driver all I had in my pocket -- just short of the $50 he was asking. I wrote a song about this truck. It hauled all my stuff the second time I moved to Chicago.

1972 Plymouth Valiant Scamp. (Prince) A smaller car with a powerful engine, this drove like a breeze and I probably should have never sold it except -- don't remember why we sold it...

1983(?) Renault Alliance. Wow, did this five speed ever get up and go (at first) and get super gas milage. It was a snazzy metal-flake orange, too. Loved it, but sold it when it lost its oomph and was clearly in need of major repairs. 

1990 Chevy Cavalier

1994 Chevy Cavalier

1987 Chevy Cavalier (as a second car) (Bluebird)

1995 Plymouth Acclaim

1990 Dodge Grand Caravan



2002 Chevy Cavalier (Silver Bird)




















2014 Chevy Cruz (Marachino)

If you're a driver and you live long enough, maybe you'll get the joy of owning lots of cars. I have loved every single one I've owned, even if they were seldom my first choice.

-- doug smith


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

From Each Hand Until The End

  From Each Hand Until The End -- collage by douglas brent smith, 1988

Collage: Modern Arrangement

"Modern Arrangement" collage by douglas brent smith Created: 8 August 1980

Art Panello

  Art Panello -- sketch by douglas brent smith

A Full Moon Wasn't The Half of It

  A Full Moon Wasn't The Half of It -- collage by douglas brent smith, 1986

How to Test Drive a Pickle

  How to Test Drive a Pickle -- collage by douglas brent smith, 25 December 1987

With Greater Detail

  With Greater Detail - mixed media by douglas brent smith

Song: Run Away!

Run Away! (Douglas Brent Smith) Don’t go to the basement in your underwear Maybe you can’t tell but there’s a monster down there Do yourself a favor and turn on a light Pay attention if you want to live thru the night Did you notice that the kitchen knives are missing? Now is not the time for teen age lover kissing Did you notice that the lights are blinking? Why head for the danger? What are you thinking? (chorus:) Every scary movie has them: brainless fools Walking into danger as the monster drools Zombies and slashers love ‘em, they taste so good And never do the one thing that they should: Run away!     Run away!    Are you an idiot?     Run away! If you’re smart you’ll avoid that cabin in the woods the one with a history of evil up to no good If it’s Friday the 13th you might want to stay awake Dreaming on that night could be a really big mistake  (chorus) (c) 2017 Douglas Brent Smith

Baby Island

  Baby Island - collage by douglas brent smith 26 December 1987

Make Waves

 Make Waves - collage by douglas brent smith, 19890601 Oddities Unexplained: This collage, created June 1, 1989, appears on page 249 (with the back-side of the page simply the title) of journal #25. Communication, and the following poem, "Waves" was written on June 30, 1990 (more than a year later) and appears on page 251 of the same journal. I think how something like that happens is that there was a time when I created collages in my journals deep within the pages, long before the journal writing caught up. Plus, this particular journal took longer than usual to write. Does it matter? Not much. But, there you have it. Here's the poem: Waves everything on the surface develops a skin of its own unexamined, unrevealed, unkissed by the sun and then something falls with the  unrelenting force of gravity and breaks that surface bearing a new moment which  makes waves ohmyohmyohmyohmyohmy holycowholycowholycowholycow... but then the waves dissipate and the skin of the surface

Bill Said Yes

 Bill Said Yes - collage by douglas brent smith, 3 January 1987 Notes: Originally titles "George Said Yes" but clearly that is Bill (I think it might be the actor Bill Irwin) and Bill is being asked a question, to which he enthusiastically answers "Yes!"