Skip to main content

counting her cards

there's a spot on her cheek

an ash perhaps

a mere smudge she's not aware of

we all see it so

quietly, i tell her


turning suddenly she wipes it clean

erasing any embarrtassment

and returns to the task at hand

counting her cards


circles below our eyes

declare that morning is near

as the factory waits tomorrow

day shift of all days and

we can't call out again or

we'll be let go for good


the lights fade as the sun rises

warning about duties as

it shows the disheveled house


i stretch out on the floor wondering

what it could be like to share her bed

i hear her turn off the water and

close her door


a pronounced decisive click

birds welcome morning

i blow out the last candle as

the house grows quiet with

Bob on the couch and

Dave in the recliner and

me on the floor and

my love in her bed

i second guess her thoughts as

i hear her shuffle

counting her cards.





douglas brent smith


Comments

More...

Lighter Than Air

  Lighter Than Air - acrylic painting by Douglas Brent Smith, November 1976. Notes: I don't have every painting I've ever painted. Some years ago I purged many of them. I like this one, though, and have it hanging in my apartment. It's whimsical. It's a painting in a painting. It has a top hat. It has balance, a candle, even a drop of blood.  What else could you want in a painting?

Deep Thinker Thinking

  Deep Thinker Thinking, drawing by douglas Brent smith, December 2001, from Journal #35, Mission Control, Volume Two, 2001 - 2002. Drawing helps me think. Thinking, sometimes, draws me to draw. It amazes me how few adults draw at all. Somewhere along the line in childhood they just stopped.  We should all draw more and more often. Pencil, pen, crayon, whatever you've got. Instead of scrolling tonight, spend that time drawing a picture. Instead of wasting your time and feeling bad about it you've have a picture you can feel good about. It doesn't have to be great, it just has to be yours.

Creating on Illusion

  Creating on Illusion - collage by Douglas Brent Smith Where's the illusion? What sleight of hand do we focus on? I think that I made this collage in 1989. That was so long ago and yet, in terms of illusions, not long at all. What do you think?

Density

  Density by Douglas Brent Smith

Gears of Joy

  Gears of Joy, collage by Douglas Brent Smith This is page 305 of Journal #33, Life in Progress. 

Jump Close

 An evolving illustration that started with a doodle and became something else. This could be a first draft. It's a doodle becoming something. We might need to stare at it for awhile to determine what it wants to become. It could be done. It could be changing. I scanned this present state since once it is changed (if it is changed) the original will stop existing.  "Do you like it?" "I think so. Enough not to destroy it." "Fair enough." Jump Close - sketch by douglas brent smith, March, 2026 Not done yet... I played with this a bit more. Let's call this one "Jump Closer" (3 April 2026) and watch it change. When I was a child I remember a feature in the Sunday newspaper funnies -- it was either in the Philadelphia Bulletin or the Philadelphia Inquirer. If it was in the Bulletin, I read the whole paper at home because we subscribed. If it was in the Inquirer, I read it at Grandmom and Grandpop Smith's house. We went there every Sunday, ...

Better Platforms Coming

  When was the last time that you drew anything? Do you remember how joyful it can be? Let go of any goal in drawing and the drawing will claim you, name you, frame you. I had no idea where this drawing was going. Does that make it a doodle? Does it matter. Draw something. Show someone. Save it. Smile. You do not have to, of course. No one can compel you. But, what if it's fun?  Better Platforms Coming - sketch by douglas brent smith, 1996

still life

  still life -- painting by douglas brent smith

Communication Skills Training

Virtual Training on Tuesday, January 18 from 10:00 am ET to 12:00 pm Communicating for Results Explore and practice the communication skills you need to develop better conversations, more productive meetings, and more powerful presentations.  During this highly interactive virtual training you will: Develop strategies for dealing with barriers to effective communication Identify the keys to listening effectively Discover the secret to dealing with difficult personalities Practice CLUES to Success, five key ingredients for powerful and influential communication WHEN: January 18 from 10:00 am ET to 12:00 pm REGISTER  HERE Price: only $49.95  Testimonials from previous participants: "I've already used what I've learned. Literally I wrote an email yesterday which was more like a vent, then Doug was in my head clear as a bell 'is it helpful? Is it necessary? Is it kind?' and while therapeutic for me to get it off my chest, I ultimately put it to Doug's test and dele...

Back Inner Cover

  Back Inner Cover of Journal #33, Life In Progress, by Douglas Brent Smith, A collage that's not exactly a typical collage. It's what I often do with the back inner covers of my journals -- simply randomly put stickers, stamps, name tags, and other sticky objects.