Skip to main content

What The Cats Discovered

 

What The Cats Discovered

What The Cats Discovered - digital collage by douglas brent smith, 2 March 2024


With glue and paper, once you've set the glue you either live with it, tear it off, or paste something over it. That makes the work exacting and a bit risky.

With a digital collage, such as this one, you can change your mind and simply iterate. That's fun, too. There could be an endless series of versions of the same picture that is not the same picture. 

I don't necessarily want that, but I wasn't sure I was satisfied with the first version (above) so here are some alternatives. The What the Cats Discovered Remix, or More of What The Cats Discovered:


More of What The Cats Discovered

More of What The Cats Discovered (Outside Remix) - douglas brent smith 2 March 2024


More of What The Cats Discovered, Inside Remix

ore of What The Cats Discovered, Inside Remix, douglas brent smith 2 March 2024


What one do you like the best? 

I promise that I will NOT do this with every collage. Tonight, it was fun.


Comments

More...

Gears of Joy

  Gears of Joy, collage by Douglas Brent Smith This is page 305 of Journal #33, Life in Progress. 

Deep Thinker Thinking

  Deep Thinker Thinking, drawing by douglas Brent smith, December 2001, from Journal #35, Mission Control, Volume Two, 2001 - 2002. Drawing helps me think. Thinking, sometimes, draws me to draw. It amazes me how few adults draw at all. Somewhere along the line in childhood they just stopped.  We should all draw more and more often. Pencil, pen, crayon, whatever you've got. Instead of scrolling tonight, spend that time drawing a picture. Instead of wasting your time and feeling bad about it you've have a picture you can feel good about. It doesn't have to be great, it just has to be yours.

Density

  Density by Douglas Brent Smith

Creating on Illusion

  Creating on Illusion - collage by Douglas Brent Smith Where's the illusion? What sleight of hand do we focus on? I think that I made this collage in 1989. That was so long ago and yet, in terms of illusions, not long at all. What do you think?

Lighter Than Air

  Lighter Than Air - acrylic painting by Douglas Brent Smith, November 1976. Notes: I don't have every painting I've ever painted. Some years ago I purged many of them. I like this one, though, and have it hanging in my apartment. It's whimsical. It's a painting in a painting. It has a top hat. It has balance, a candle, even a drop of blood.  What else could you want in a painting?

Back Inner Cover

  Back Inner Cover of Journal #33, Life In Progress, by Douglas Brent Smith, A collage that's not exactly a typical collage. It's what I often do with the back inner covers of my journals -- simply randomly put stickers, stamps, name tags, and other sticky objects. 

Note to Self 20230423

If you keep working your craft you will be amazed at how much you've learned and how much more there is yet to learn. -- doug smith  

not the thing

  not the thing - collage by Douglas Brent Smith - 1996 From Journal #31

How Fast Are You Going?

  i follow the speed limit in my car but emotionally it's usually all going too fast getting where I'm heading just on time. How Fast Are You Going? collage by Douglas Brent Smith, 1997, from Journal #32, Secret Change Agent.

Getting Away From It All

  The picture was easier than the trip. No shoes, no shirt, no service, and no oxygen. But was the trip worth taking? Could they truly get away from it all? Of course. Here they are. Where are you? Getting Away From It All - collage by Douglas Brent Smith, 1997