Do you like reading and committing to User Agreements?
Of course you don't. They are pure rubbish. .Designed to make you read them, but written so that you can't read them (because they are confusing and massively too long) we mostly end up pretending that we did read them just to get on with whatever we want to do.
Not designed to be fair. Designed to cover the butts of the people who wrote the User Agreement and to restrict the rest of us from being ourselves, from doing what we want and need to do, and from exercising our rights.
In a perfect world, all of those user agreements are unenforceable. Maybe, even in an imperfect world.
Is it really an agreement if we don't agree to it? If we don't have any influence on what goes INTO an agreement, how is THAT an agreement?
We need some sanity.
I hereby propose a universal User Agreement Rider to invoke whenever you've had enough of an evil User Agreement. No lawyers have been involved in the drafting of this universal escape clause. I offer no legal advice. The fun, the humor, the blatant disregard is completely up to you.
There are no guarantees, but aren't you tired of being TOLD what you agree to? Try this on for size.
User Agreement Rider 1.0
This Rider amends any user agreement the user intends to amend. No signature is necessary, simply refer to User Agreement Rider 1.0 to invoke your rights to amend the agreement.
Regardless of the intentions of the conditions of any user agreement, we reject and refuse any agreement for any condition that:
- Requires binding arbitration or restricts our right to litigate.
- Limits our right to quote or make fair use of the content.
- Claims ownership for any content that we contribute or collaborate on.
- Requires us to indemnify, legally protect, or compensate the originator of the agreement for anything caused by or contributed to by the originator of the agreement.
- Any other condition that restricts or violates our rights as described by the laws of the land where we live.
- Any provision that appears after the 500th word of the agreement.
- Any provision presented in less than 12 point font.
- Any provision that attempts to void this rider.
That's it. That's the whole thing. If you'd like a pdf copy you can find one here.
Thanks for playing. Good luck.
This is not legal advice. If you need legal advice you should consult an attorney.